Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Moe Szyslak

Obviously, I have nothing else to do but update my blog. And I can't sleep! I must get use to this kind of schedule until I find a part-time job. My last summer job was an enrichment reading and writing session for a 10-year-old boy. The head of the center told me how much he had fun when I used the "camping set-up" for storytelling. I used mats and a big night lamp, and brought some food just for fun. Hehe =) I really enjoyed that session. But now, I have more time to rest for the holy week and I've been watching The Simpsons (their 18th season).

I was never really interested to Moe Szyslak, the famous bartender of Springfield. He's just this character who owns a bar, almost rude to everyone else..he's funny but I didn't know there's so much depth to his character until I watched the sixth episode from this season. When Homer forgot to go fishing with Moe for his birthday, Moe sent this letter:

Dear Pus Bag,
Birthdays never meant squat to me.
Then you offered to take me fishing,
And like a stumble bum chump,
I dared to hope.
But you shattered my dreams
Like a duff tall boy in a bar brawl,
And you jammed the jagged neck
Right up my heart's butt.
I guess I just wasn't meant to be happy, or handsome
Or anything really.


Poetry. Yes. Who would have thought of Moe as a writer? So Lisa helped Moe to "unleash" his poetic side. Lisa arranged Moe's written phrases that are just posted in his apartment, and even gave a title for the poem:




Howling like a Concrete Moon

My soul smells like a dead pigeon after three weeks,
I shut my window and go to sleep.
In my dream, I eat corn with my eyes.




Short but substantial. Of course, Homer does not want to be left out and shows his own "creation" as well.

I wrapped a rapping tomato.
That's right a rapping tomato.
I wrapped all day from April to May.
And guess what, it was me.

Heehee. =) I still find Homer adorable though. =) Haha..who would have thought that poetry can be part of the show. But I like the last part of the episode the most. Apparently, he wanted to be acknowledged alone in making the poem which made Lisa so upset. So Moe made a poem to apologize for his actions.

Ode to Liza

Pointy-headed mini-muse
More friend that I deserved,
You pulled me from the dirt,
And made me the beautiful flower that I am.
But some flowers can stab you in the back.
For which I should send you flowers,
Which I will, but they were closed.
You will be getting them tomorrow.

Just something to think about. =) Hehe..simple but profound. Hope that there could be more people like that =) Anyway, I really enjoy knowing Moe's character after watching that episode. Something to look forward to even more. =)






"Well, if I'm gonna fight, I might as well win."