Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Being an Ictusian

"Sometimes you have to meet the wrong people to get the right ones” (quote from Saj Ocampo, an active ictusian and an amazing friend)

During my first year in UP, I was too enthusiastic about my studies. Sure, I had good grades but there was something missing in my college life. I kept on going to the library (although I still continue doing that…hehe) just to prepare in advance for any exams, homeworks, and papers. I didn’t join any organizations because I thought that I still can’t balance academics and co-curricular activities during my first year. So….I had a few friends. Sometimes, I ate lunch alone in the cafeteria. I was so desperate to look for friends so I tried knowing my classmates in my general and major subjects. Was I successful? Hmmm….not that much. As I’d said in my first entry in this blog, “…you can't get all the people whom you want to be friends with all the time. I, myself, weren't accepted by others.” It was so depressing. Though I’m still fortunate of meeting two classmates from my Philo 1 class. Not only did I appreciate philosophy, I enjoyed and learned a lot from the subject…thanks to these people. They are truly nice and humble friends. For almost two years, we’d just text each other just to know that we’re doing okay. Nevertheless, my quest for true friends went on.

Then, ICTUS (In-Christ Thrust for University Students) came into my life. I enjoyed most of the apostolates in the org. I got to interact with students from the fifth-sixth grade, and I also had the opportunity to tutor them. I really enjoyed the times when I read a story for them (that’s why I want to apply as a storyteller for Adarna Books this semester). I also had the chance to interact with patients in the Philippines Children’s Medical Center (PCMC). I was so happy of sharing wonderful conversations, and of playing gameboards with them. At least for 1 ½ -2 hrs, I made someone happy. I love the service that I’ve been giving to other people and I have to thank ICTUS for making it possible.

And, of course, I couldn’t enjoy these activities without the ictusians that I’d been with. I’ve finally found people whom I can share my thoughts, talents, laughters….the list goes on. I feel very blessed because not only do I gain good friends but we also serve together for God’s greater glory.

As I continue to discover and to accept myself and my purpose in life, going out of the UP campus and serving other institutions (i.e. hopefully Cupertino, Adarna Books, and UPSEC) is another beginning. Change is inevitable, as one of my closest friends once said. But as I embark on this new journey, becoming a true ictusian is a part of me that I can never forget.
Nothing without faith. Never without passion. Always for Kuya Jess.