Sunday, July 17, 2005

Untitled

“But he trusted in the old man, who had said that, when you really want something, the universe comprises in your favor” (quoted from “The Alchemist”)

“ ‘So your adventures are over?’
‘No. To live. To live is another great adventure.’”
(quoted from the movie “Hook”)

Ever wondered why I’ve been putting these quotes or excerpts as an introduction for my entry? I love remembering them every time I watch a movie or read a book. I tried jotting them in my small notebook or saving them in my cellphone. And now, I want to share these quotes with you as a good start of my entry. I’m not really a writer but, at least, you’ll read something profound in the beginning of my essay.

Imagining oneself being in a far-off place, away from reality, with magical creatures and magnificent scenery seems to be everyone’s favorite fantasy. As a child, I loved watching “Hocus Pocus”, “Never Ending Story” and, of course, “Hook”. Every time I would go to my grandmother’s house, my cousin and I would pretend to be the characters from the movie “Hook” and would just watch it over and over again. Dreaming beyond your wildest imagination seems to be so easy when you’re a kid.

Learning how to fly begins with remembering one’s happy thoughts. Peter Pan, who was portrayed by Robin Williams, forgot his childhood, his adventures with the lost boys and tinkerbell when Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman) kidnapped Peter’s children to attain revenge and redeem his dignity. So Peter had to recall being that little kid that he used to be. Little did he know that he is not only saving his own children, he is also saving himself from the man who only yearns for wealth and success to the young boy who gives laughter and inspiration to every child who feels lost and alone.

Unconscious to peoples’ minds, society has strongly influenced us to become an individual that is favorable to everybody (hope that I got my lesson from socio 10 class right though). For example, some students rank intellectual abilities according to their courses or rate of financial income once they graduate. And because of that, instead of choosing something one truly wants, he/she opts for the path which is beneficial not only for the society but most especially for himself/herself. I think everyone, in one level or another, felt as if they were an orphan..a lost child as Peter Pan did. But being lost is not really a bad thing. Like Peter, instead of mourning or sulking about the terrible things that happened, he just continued to hold his head up high, to fly as fast as he can, and to fight anyone who stopped him and his friends from having fun, from being a kid. Reliving the spirit of the child in each and every one of us can boost one’s energy to become motivated and inspired. Awakening that spirit can make one realize that nothing can ever be impossible if he/she truly aspires for it. And if only one can hold on to his/her happy thought strongly, maybe someday, he/she can also be able to fly.